Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that can enhance the size and shape of a woman’s breast. Women who may be particularly interested in this procedure include:
- Mothers who have lost breast volume due to pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Patients with underdeveloped or absent breast tissue
- People who have breast asymmetries (size and shape differ from each other)
- Women who have had mastectomy reconstruction (to enhance the non-cancer side).
Regardless of your reason, it is important to have an open and honest discussion with your physician prior to surgery so that expectations and procedures are clear. Your consultation with Dr. Riou will answer many of your questions about the surgery and recovery. Bring the following list of questions to your appointment to make sure all of your concerns are addressed.
Questions about surgery
- How long does the operation last?
- What is the expected recover time from surgery?
- How long will I be in pain after the procedure?
- What, if any, help will I need at home after the surgery? For how long?
- Will any secondary procedures be required?
- Where will the scar be?
- What can I do to help minimize the risk of short-term and long-term complications or infections?
Questions about breast implants
- What type of breast implant do you recommend for me and why?
- How long do implants typically last?
- Do breast implants alter breast skin or nipple sensation?
- Can I still consider breast augmentation surgery if I have a family history of breast cancer?
- What are the risks and complications associated with breast implants?
- How is easy or difficult is it to change the size of breast implants after they are in place?
- How do breast implants affect breastfeeding?
- Can I still get mammograms with breast implants?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the results?
Dr. Riou and the staff at our Plastic Surgery Center want all of our patients to feel assured, safe and excited about the assistance we can provide. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions during your time as our patient. If you are considering breast augmentation or plastic surgery, please call us to schedule a consultation and see what may be right for you.